BIG FLIPPIN' DESIGN HACKATHON
COME HACK WITH US!
Calling all creative minds—DIYers, makers, engineers, designers, entrepreneurs, storytellers and dreamers! This is a hackathon where you gather with other creative minds to find inspiration, dream big, and bring design ideas to life. Make something. Try something new. This is a chance to meet new friends, do something you’ve never done, and showcase your talents to the world.
WHY DOES DESIGN MATTER
FOR A DOCUMENTARY?
Because while a documentary is great for inspiring influencers and change-makers (like you!), large-scale change happens when you subtly shift the daily choices and actions in people's lives through the stuff they use and spaces they're in every day.
WE STILL CREATE BASED ON OUTDATED GENDER EXPECTATIONS
Most family products, services and content are still designed assuming the woman is responsible for housework and childcare. Men are too often depicted as bumbling idiots when taking care of house and kids.
The travel and transportation industry goes to great lengths to woo the affluent traveler—which many still subconsciously envision as the high-powered businessman. The typical vision of an affluent female traveler? The seductive vixen or shop-till-you-drop lucky missus accompanying the businessman.
UNTAPPED DESIGN OPPORTUNITIES
This is not just a matter of gender equality. This is about opportunities for new products, services and policies that people want, and businesses are missing out on.
DESIGN FOR WOMEN WHO MEAN BUSINESS
We're not just talking about the 40% of American working wives who out-earn their husbands. We're talking about all the working women and career moms out there who are tired of and frustrated by a world that continues to put the responsibility and burden of home and kids squarely in their domain. And the unique needs of the high-end female business traveler? That's a world of little-understood needs and desires waiting to be discovered and met!
DESIGN FOR MODERN MEN WHO CARE
Similarly, we're not just talking about full-time at-home dads. We're talking about the many modern husbands and caring dads who are actively engaged with parenting their kids and manning the home front. These men would welcome more options, ideas and choices that speak to the diverse ways they want to parent and man the house—and not assume they're simply taking on the roles of moms and housewives.
DESIGN FOR MIGHTY GIRLS AND THOUGHTFUL BOYS
Beyond the gender make-up and financial roles of the parent(s), many modern families are eager to raise their kids in a gender-neutral environment that allows them to fully explore and express their potential.
MEET THE JUDGES
BIG FLIPPING SPEAKERS
Justin Wooley and Staci Bush
Justin and Staci are proud big flippers—Justin is a happy stay-at-home dad to their first child, while Staci is a Director at Gilead Sciences.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 21
Embarcadero Center Cinema
5:30PM—Pre-screening mixer at Embarcadero Center Cinema
6:30PM—Screening of The Big Flip at Embarcadero Center Cinema
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
Goodby Silverstein & Partners
8:00 AM—Doors Open
9:00 AM—Introduction & Kickoff
9:15 AM—Opening Speaker
9:30 AM—Briefing: Key Pain Points & Design Opportunities
10:00 AM—Teaming: announce teams for single participants
10:30 AM—HACKING BEGINS!
11:30 AM—Speaker: Product Design
12:30 PM—Speakers: Creative Process, Investor Perspective, Art of the Pitch
1:00 PM—HACKING CONTINUES
4:30 PM—PITCH TIME
6:00 PM—Judges Confer
6:30 PM—WINNERS ANNOUNCED
7:00PM—Post-hackathon mixer (venue TBD)
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
We want a diverse range of innovative thinkers. Product designers and tinkerers who like to make stuff. Working moms and caregiving dads who represent the modern family. Engineers and developers who love problem-solving. Storytellers who can bring ideas to life in compelling ways. If you enjoy working in teams and the challenge of friendly competition—we want you!
HOW WILL IT WORK?
You will work in teams of 4-6 people. In the evening, each team will present their idea to a panel of judges comprised of investors, industry experts, entrepreneurs, at-home dads and working moms. 2 honorable mentions and 1 winner will be picked.
WHY YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS
1) Fame & glory! The winners and their winning idea will be gloriously featured and memorialized in a beautifully-designed companion booklet that will be distributed digitally online, and printed and included with the DVD. All participants and ideas will be captured and recognized in the booklet. In addition, we'll create a short video that captures the day's highlights—a digital keepsake for all participants.
2) An incredible day of learning and networking! We want you to leave feeling inspired and delighted, and have planned the day carefully to make that happen—engaging speakers, good food, great people, and a fun post-hackathon party to celebrate your accomplishment!
3) Prize for the winning team: the Start-Up Booster Pack
- Business consultation: 30-min meeting with a successful start-up founder on running your business
- Investor consultation: 30-min meeting with an early stage investor on raising capital
- Product development consultation: 30-min meeting with a product development expert to discuss your concept
- Crowdfunding consultation: 30-min meeting with Director Izzy Chan on running a successful crowdfunding campaign
- Branded materials: nothing makes an idea feel more real than business cards and swag! We'll design and print your first set of business cards (200) and your first batch of swag (10 caps, 10 T-shirts, 10 tote bags)
- 2-minute documentary-style video of your company/product by award-winning Director Izzy Chan
ALT PRIZE OPTION: If your team is in this just for fun and to flex your creative muscles, no problem! The winning team can opt for a $500 check instead of the Start-Up Booster Pack.
4) Half-priced tickets to a special screening of our award-winning documentary, The Big Flip—Stories from the Modern Home Front, at the Embarcadero Center Cinema on September 21. We really want participants to watch and be inspired by the film, so director Izzy Chan has offered to buy all hackathon participants a drink at the pre-screening mixer (as long as you're of legal drinking age)!